- It is the trimming of the gum line by either laser or periodontal surgery.
- Gingivectomy is the cutting away of soft tissue only, in such a way that the firmer outer layer of the gum is preserved as far as possible.
- Crown lengthening involves opening of the gum and contouring of the underlying bone with a drill. The gum is trimmed and sutured into the correct position.
- An uneven gum line
- Too much gum covering the teeth eg. Overgrown gums, due to side effects of certain medications or genetic defects
- Teeth that appear too short
- “Gummy smile”
- Where a crown needs to be placed, but very little tooth is left.
- Severe periodontitis
- Good cosmetic result, with minimal invasion.
- It extends total treatment time, as aesthetic treatment can only be started after healing of the gums.