What are composites?
- It is a filling placed on an area of tooth decay.
- Made of tooth coloured resin.
- Special precautions are taken, such as using a rubber dam, to ensure no saliva contamination.
When is it used?
- A small area affected by tooth decay has to be fixed.
- To replace old silver amalgam fillings.
- Tooth structure is maintained.
- Aesthetically and health wise far superior to amalgam(silver) fillings.
- Long lasting.
- More time consuming than the old amalgam fillings.
- Very operator and technique sensitive.
- Not for larger restorations.